Monday 13 August 2012

Emotive Mathematics - play with these numbers ... Ofentse Melato


“Age aint nothing but a number”
 
We all know who made this phrase famous as well as the circumstances under which the hit song was penned so I won't get into that. What I will get into is the message that this song was trying to send and what we got from it instead, well, for me at least.

Out and out, it's obvious that she was trying to express her personal preference and articulate her perception of what society deems to be "immoral". She preferred them older than she was and she had every right to. Sod what society thinks especially when the same society chooses to condemn a woman for dating an older man but congratulate a man for dating a young fresh "thang" or give kudos to a young lad for bagging a cougar. Honestly, which teenager would not rebel when being forced into a corner? She just happened to do it with a bandana, boxers, baggy jeans, a sexy as hell lady 6 pack and voice of an angel. She rebelled so well that at that time, despite not being a teen yet, I also felt like "age aint nothing but a number"... I could do things to her with my then little, ‘11th finger’.



But that’s about as poetic as this issue can get, from there reality strikes. We've all been through that visit my friend because I'm crushing on his sister/mom or your friend visits you because they are crushing on someone at your house. If you haven’t been through that, my sincere condolences to the childhood you never had.
 From the time you had a crush on that older family friend/cousin to the point where you were the one that the young ones were crushing on, you could not ignore the fact that age does matter. Not because of what society will think but first and foremost, what will we have in common when our age differs so much? This perception tends to fade once you get to know a person and you say "they are quite mature for their age" ... that's a decent way of saying "they can get it".

Right there by bringing maturity into it, you have found a way of justifying it. Before long, it evolves into all sorts of reasons and justifications... women mature and grow quicker than men, an older man is more stable and responsible, a woman your age will grow to look like your aunt instead of your woman someday etc. Many of these reasons are valid in their own rights. We have seen chicks we dated settled with older guys and we've seen people we studied with evolve into looking like they went to kindergarten with our parents. In the same light, we have seen many households where the father was much older than the mother. Most of us come from such families hence it all seemed normal. The notion of age was a mere technicality imposed on us by the western law, right?


I'm not in a place to judge whether all this is right or wrong. All I know is that from observing these various scenarios, I've learned that life is more of grey than just white or black. It's more "different strokes for different folks" than we would like to admit. What works for me might not work for you and that’s cool. We can't impose blanket perceptions on a whole human race. What I personally battle with is being 29 and shagging a 17yr old. Yes, it's ‘legal’ but play around with the numbers and reality starts asking you some probing questions. Do you realise that when I was 17 and horny as hell she was 5yr old? That’s young enough for me to have been her uncle not even her brother but hey, its legal right? When I exited my teens at 20 she was 12, not even a teen yet. However when I'm 42 she will be 30, all of a sudden that's a ripe woman right there. Funny isn’t it? Add a few years to my age or deduct a few from hers and you'll realise that she's young enough to be my 1st born if I had a kid in my late teens. Now how would I feel if my main man who is my age was dating my daughter? Would I still be bumping that Aaliyah *jawn? Grabbing and chucking my crotch like I'm R.Kelly himself? If my answer is a resounding yes then we are cool. If not, then I have no business crossing the age gap and imposing my double standards on society. 


My personal view is that if you did not, at any point find, each other in the same growth stage, you are too old for each other. If you entered teenage years when I was on my way out, 13 - 18, 14 - 19 and so forth then we are cool. Otherwise we have to wait to a point where we are both above 30 because by then we are both old. It's just a question of who is Morgan Freeman old and who is Madonna old.

*jawn - song/tune

1 comment: