Tuesday 26 February 2013

A Tale of Romance ... Girl_Incognito


To keep you believing that true love… ... is some movie going bullshit. 

If there’s one thing we’re always certain about is how well we know ourselves. We know how we would act in certain situations, how we would handle different dilemmas and we know for damn sure what we would do if we were in that situation. That’s the problem with teenagers we think we know everything, at least I did when I was one.
The only thing worse than being a teenager who knows it all is being a self-proclaimed ‘smart’ teenager who knew it all. Yes, I was a smart girl and that made me believe that I was smart enough not to get hurt, after all I had read  enough articles in Seventeen Magazine and watched enough episodes of As Told By Ginger to know exactly what I would do ‘if it was me’(I mean how could these girls not see it?? It is so obvious!).  Looking back on it years later the only thing I know for sure, is that I don’t know shit until I’ve experienced it.

My first real heartbreak, (not that high school crap of being depressed for an hour or two after the end of a two week relationship) was also my first “time”, you know, with like, a guy. It was the cliche story; he was the popular, hot, new guy that all the girls wanted and I was the shy, awkward teen who could never summon the courage to speak to him. Long story short, he left to finish high school elsewhere and when he came back a year later I was still crazy about him.
By this time I’d gained a few years of confidence to actually talk to him, we became friends quickly, and almost immediately after, he started flirting with me. I was elated. Within a few weeks we’d had our first kiss, and that night he was already texting me about having sex… wait… what?? Yes that’s right. The same day he kissed me, he was already trying to instigate a sexual relationship. In his defense, it must’ve been obvious that I was into him; I might as well have had a red, neon sign flashing “I’M EASY” across my chest. Of course looking back on it, everything about the situation screamed “Booty call!” But being the vulnerable, naive, all of a sudden not so smart teenager, I was torn.
 I had fantasized about him and me for years now, but I was a virgin. Did I really want to give it up to someone whom I wasn’t even sure cared about me? I pondered for weeks, agonizing over the decision and of course a teenager with a crush never makes wise decisions. He had the house to himself one night and I thought it would improve everything so I slept with him. 

Can you guess what followed? No cuddling, no sweet talk, he proceeded to get dressed and prepared to sleep in the other bed in his room. The shock and rejection was like a slap across the face, I knew guys could be assholes but could I have fallen for one who was borderline cruel? I told him if he didn’t come back to bed I’d never speak to him again. Knowing that, that would cut off any future booty supply he came back, but having him lay next to me did not placate me. I cried silently that night cursing myself for being so stupid. The next day he proceeded to make a feeble excuse of why I needed to leave his house.
Again long story short, that wasn’t the end of our relationship, we fought we made up and proceeded to eventually have a fun friends with benefits arrangement. 

It was not easy, I couldn’t deny I had feelings for him and often I’d ask myself “what the hell am I doing??” But I did learn from this and *now* I can say I “know”. Overall the lesson learned is: It’s not always about the asshole, but the girl that seeks the asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment