Tuesday 24 April 2012

The Continent



Last night I lay within your continent
Sought salvation from frustration within your loving nation
Found the true meaning of homeland when you let me in
Swahili tongue knew I hadn’t been there before and kissed me to stay a while
I did you one better and kissed forever in your country
Then you let me top your virgin drum releasing echoes of me being free, being free in you
Free to run through your country side, touching jasmine dropping wreaths
Free to nibble on your Nigerian
Blow on your Botswana
Eat your opia till there’s no opia left
Won’t be any left over’s when I’m done
Won’t be anything done just remembrances of that night when I laid within your continent seeking salvation from frustration within your loving nation
And that’s all we’ll have that and a few thousand orphans to read this poem.

 from the American sitcom Girlfriends


2 comments:

  1. This poem may have been "seen" on Girlfriends, but you should also aknowledge the author. Saul Williams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On it!! thanks for letting us know...
      keep reading!!!

      Delete